Helping Create Your Path To A Better Tomorrow

A new job offer may mean modifying a child custody agreement

On Behalf of | Dec 21, 2020 | Divorce

The dream job you had your eye on is now yours, but it means relocating from Arlington to Norfolk, VA.

Your 10-year-old son will go with you and the current child custody agreement will require modification. Will the court approve?

Considerations from the court

Judges are aware that changes such as the need for employment relocation occur in life and that as a result, a child custody agreement may require modification. However, they will want to learn certain facts. For example, the court will want to know if the other parent is on board with this change and if the two of you have worked out a new visitation schedule. Another consideration, and one that has top priority, is how this move will affect your son.

Evidence to produce

In petitioning the court for child custody modification, you should provide a letter from your employer confirming your new position and that the job requires relocation. Provide as much information as possible about the school your son will attend and the extracurricular activities he can participate in. Explain that there are other children his age living in the neighborhood you have chosen for your new home. Do not forget to emphasize the new visitation schedule you and the other parent have agreed on.

Best interests of the child

The court will always base its decision on the best interests of the child. If you can allay the court’s concerns and demonstrate that you are mindful of your son’s ongoing need for stability and contact with both parents, the judge will likely approve your petition for child custody agreement modification.


FindLaw Network