Helping Create Your Path To A Better Tomorrow

How is child support determined?

On Behalf of | Sep 23, 2020 | Divorce

Getting divorced when you have children may leave you facing concerns about their well-being and your ability to provide for their needs without the support of a spouse. Depending on your situation, Virginia courts may rule in your favor to require your former spouse to provide financial support. 

If your ex does make payments in a timely manner, some of the stress of providing for your children may subside and allow you to focus on rebuilding your future. 

Child support eligibility

The Legislative Information System of Virginia says that any of your children under the age of 18 years and residing in your home may receive child support. An 18-year-old may still maintain eligibility for child support if he or she has not yet graduated high school. If you have a child in this situation, you may still continue to collect child support until your child graduates from high school or until he or she turns 19-years-old. Once he or she meets one of those criteria, you will see a termination of those benefits. 

If you have an adult child with a handicap or who cannot live independently, exceptions allow reconsideration of your situation and you may receive an extension of your benefits. In relation to necessities such as medical insurance, the courts may request that both you and your ex share the responsibility of funding those needs for your children. 

Planning ahead

When you create your post-divorce budget, do not factor in child support payments. Not relying on receiving this money will protect you from the stress and disappointment if there is a month where your ex is unable to pay or is delinquent. Look for ways to condense your spending. Proactively strengthen your credit score. Contribute to a savings account. Take advantage of any retirement resources and benefits provided by your employer. These actions may enable you to provide a stable life for your children while effectively planning for their future. 


FindLaw Network